Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Quebrada de Humahuaca

THIS might be one of my fave places I visited in Argentina. La Quebrada de Humahuaca is a highway surrounded by giant canyons of beautiful red, green, purple and white rocks. The mountains are huge, and the colors are spectacular. Along this canyon are a small handful of pueblos to visit. We chose Humahuaca as our base.
We got there at night and had no hostel reservations. So, we just went with Graciela... why not. The place ended up being nice and simple and clean. We went on the hunt for some dinner, and found a really beautiful place with some music. It was definitely geared towards the 2 tourists in the pueblo... you can always tell this by the good lighting. I had some more warm locro (a yummy stew), with Cerveza Norte. Dale. The next day was our one day without being on a bus, yea! We pretty much did nothing but wander around the pueblo, have some mate, wander to the plaza, have some mate, wander back to the hostel, have some fernet, and started the day over again. It was great. Later that day we hiked to the Penas Blancas-- the large white colored mountains and from there, we had an amazing panoramic view of the canyons and the amazing colors. Don´t you wish you could see these pictures? It was a good way to watch the sunset. Later that night, we found the other restaurant with live music and great food. This place was my fave. The food was like home cooked goodness, and I even got a postre of pancake with dulce de leche. drool. The weather here was just gorgeous-- beautiful and sunny, the bluest sky Ive ever seen. Then at night, the temperature drops to a kind of cold I never need to feel again. Good call with buying my legwarmers in Salta.

The next day we took a long and windy 3 hour bus to Iruya. Once again, the scenery was just incredible. I cant get over the colors of the mountains. This pueblo is tucked into a mountainside. It´s so small, with steep cobblestone streets. Being here was truly being a world away from everything. This one lady was knitting some little purse, she was so kind and sweet, wanting to talk to me and see my pictures. Then she wanted me to buy this purse. Then she was talking about how nice my fleece was, and started feeling the pockets. Then I got freaked and thought this little old lady was going to rob me blind. So I was like, k bye! Still, a great day. Oh, and I went down this huge slide in the playground and almost ate it big time. Highlight.

Really got down with the souvenir shopping in Humahuaca. Couldn´t help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment